Isolating LanSchool Errors or Crashes
While every attempt is made to prevent errors, with any type of software it is possible to get an error or bug. On the Windows operating system, those errors can result in crashes, faults and error messages. At LanSchool those types of errors are given the highest priority.
If you can reliably reproduce and error, we have some tools that will help our developers find and fix the problem.
To enable logging
1. Run regedit.exe
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LanSchool (if 64bit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432node\LanSchool)
3. Click Edit ‐> New ‐> DWORD (32 bit) Value
4. Name the value DebugTrace
5. Double click on the word DebugTrace and set the value to 1 (hexadecimal)
Restart the LanSchool Teacher Console. Once you reproduce the problem, a trace file is created in %temp%.
To retrieve this file, go to the Window run line and type %temp%. That will open the Windows temp directory. In that directory, you’ll find a file called LskTrace.txt. Send that file to email@example.com.
Create a Memory Dump
If either the LanSchool student and teacher application is crashing, you may see a dialog box appear that looks like this.
However, it is possible for no message to be displayed but the application simply vanishes from the desktop or system tray.
Starting with build 188.8.131.52 of LanSchool, it is possible to configure both a Student and a Teacher machine to generate a memory dump file. This is a rather large data file which contains a "snap shot" of the LanSchool application at the moment of the error. With this file, it is likely that LanSchool developers can pinpoint and correct the condition which caused the error.
To configure LanSchool to create a memory dump file follow these steps:
1. Run regedit.exe
2. Browse to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LanSchool (if 64bit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432node\LanSchool)
3. Click Edit ‐> New ‐> String Value
4. The string name should be MiniDump
5. In the MiniDump string value type in a path where the logged in user will have sufficient rights to create a new file. In the following example, "C:\Users\dddogget\AppData\Local\Temp" was chosen. You must specify an existing folder; LanSchool will NOT create a new folder for this file.
6. After this value has been created, please reboot the machine so that the LanSchool applications will see this new registry entry.
Once this has been properly configured, LanSchool will notify you when an error has happened.
1. After the error has occurred, browse to the path you put in the registry key.
2. Find the file lsk*.dmp
3. To send this file to LanSchool, "zip" it up and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the file is too large for email, please upload it to https://upload.stone-ware.com then submit a ticket to the support team letting them know the file name that you uploaded.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this error has caused you and appreciate your patience. With this additional information, we hope to quickly isolate and fix the error.
The LanSchool Support Team